Tuesday, May 18, 2010

our gift




"Sensing the ground shifting beneath my feet, 
I resisted the new, unknown territory, 
already nostalgic for what I'd so recently taken for granted.
I missed my old world and it's funny little inhabitants,
those great big personalities still housed in small, 
sweet bodies.
I missed my sons' kissable cheeks and round bodies,
their unanswerable questions,
their innocent faith,
their sudden tears and wild infectious giggles,
even the smell of morning breath,
when they would leap, upon waking, from their own warm beds directly into ours.
I missed the person I had been for them,
too-
the younger, more capable mother who read aloud for hours,
stuck raisin eyes into bear shaped pancakes,
created knights armor from cardboard and duct tape.
Certainly my talents didn't seem quite as impressive anymore,
my company not as desirable as it once had been."
(excerpt from The Gift of an Ordinary Life)

I read this and instantly started to cry.
For me, now, it seems as though raising my lil' ones will last forever.
I just can't imagine my life any other way.
And you get so consumed in the day to day.
You forget that life is to be enjoyed,
cherished...
rather than rushed thru.
Trying to do it all,
have it all,
and give it all to my children
leaves us all sometimes scattered and exhausted.

Sometimes we need to be reminded to 
enjoy these fleeting years.
To savor the quiet pleasures in life,
to pay more attention to the people we love than 
to things,
and to allow my boys the time and space to play,
& daydream.


4 comments:

Amber said...

Beautiful and warms my heart, I love Heidi in my life she has shown me true love...on a side note, lately when I pick her up from your moms she cries, doesn't want to leave, already developing so much independence at one....sighhhh

lauren ♥ said...

perfect, lovely post <3

Kelly Tidwell said...

Made me tear up. You took my heart and wrote it out! I want so badly to be caught up in my boys lives while they are still so free. Thanks for sharing!

norwalkhills said...

That's what I think about when I look at you today. My time has past and you are in this time where stories, questions, special foods and all of that energy is 101% of your life. You cherish these moments, each and every moment for it is your gift as a Parent. Days can be tough, but the moments you share will warm your heart forever.